MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›Tariff war | Gov’t says part of Phase 1 of trade deal text ‘basically completed’

Tariff war | Gov’t says part of Phase 1 of trade deal text ‘basically completed’

By -
October 28, 2019
0
0
Share:

China said parts of the text for the first phase of a trade deal with the U.S. are “basically completed” as the two sides reached a consensus in areas including standards used by agricultural regulators.
The Saturday comments followed a call Friday with Chinese Vice Premier Liu He, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. The trade negotiators “agreed to properly resolve their core concerns and confirmed that the technical consultations of some of the text agreement were basically completed,” China’s Ministry of Commerce said in a statement on Saturday.
Earlier on Friday, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative said in a statement that the U.S. and China are close to finalizing sections of the first phase of a trade deal that President Donald Trump and China’s Xi Jinping hope to sign at a summit in Chile next month.
In the statement from China, the two sides reached an agreement for the U.S. to import cooked poultry products from China, as well as to regard its catfish product regulation system as equivalent to the U.S.
U.S. officials have said the first phase of the agreement will also include Chinese commitments on intellectual property and currency provisions. China is also expected to resume purchases of U.S. agricultural products at a level last seen before the trade wars started in 2019, in return for a pause in further U.S. tariffs, according to people familiar with the matter.
Trump has said he wants to sign the first phase of a trade deal with China at an Nov. 16-17 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Santiago, Chile. But when he announced the phased deal earlier this month he also conceded the two sides still needed to work out many details and to put it in writing.
“We’re doing very well with China” and “they want to make a deal very badly,” Trump told reporters as he left the White House on Friday.
There are still major questions over whether the second phase of a deal will ever happen.
In a sign that not all issues had been resolved, USTR said discussions “will go on continuously at the deputy level” with Lighthizer and Mnuchin due to speak with Liu again “in the near future.” China’s statement also confirmed the plan.
White House officials were nevertheless eager on Friday to continue portraying progress in bringing at least a pause to the trade wars that have unnerved financial markets and businesses around the world for more than a year and contributed to a slowing U.S. economy.
“We had excellent talks this morning. That will continue,” Peter Navarro, a White House trade adviser, told Fox News.
“This is not one-and-done in phase one. This is phase one hopefully mid-November and then just keep rolling along,” he said. “There’s no chance that if we get all three phases of the deal that it will be watered down in any way.”  Shawn Donnan & Miao Han,Bloomberg

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Alipay, Tencent beware: China’s digital yuan is ...

Next Article

Facebook launches a news section – and ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • China

      Beijing plans to send San Diego Zoo more pandas, reintroducing ‘panda diplomacy’

      February 23, 2024
      By -
    • China

      China ban on some textbooks seen as aimed at Uighur culture

      August 28, 2019
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Australia ends Hong Kong extradition treaty, extends visas

      July 10, 2020
      By -
    • China

      Overseas takeover spree meets growing resistance

      October 31, 2016
      By -
    • Asia-PacificBreaking NewsChina

      Japan, US fly fighters after China drill, N. Korean missiles

      May 26, 2022
      By -
    • China

      China’s stock calm shatters as regulatory curb talk spooks traders

      July 28, 2016
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Magic Leap Forward | Startup raises USD793.5M in new funding led by Alibaba

    • Business

      Shell plans to spend USD1b a year on clean energy by 2020

    • Macau

      Customs seize 12,000 duty-unpaid cigarettes

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d