MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Sports
Home›Sports›Tokyo 2020 | Opposition remains strong to Olympic Games after Mori remarks

Tokyo 2020 | Opposition remains strong to Olympic Games after Mori remarks

By -
February 9, 2021
0
0
Share:

Yoshiro Mori, president of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee

Public opposition remains strong in Japan to holding the postponed Tokyo Olympics following derogatory remarks about women made last week by the head of the local organizing committee.
A telephone survey over the weekend by Japanese news agency Kyodo showed just over 82% believe the games should be canceled or postponed again. The results are consistent with polls in recent months showing the strong opposition.
Organizers and the IOC have said the games cannot be postponed again and will be canceled if they can’t be held.
Only 14.5% in the Kyodo poll said the Olympics should go on as planned and open on July 23.
The poll also showed nearly 60% saying that Yoshiro Mori is “not qualified” to be the president of the organizing committee.
Mori last week suggested women talk too much in meetings. He immediately received widespread condemnation, and his remarks also generated an on-line petition that questioned his fitness for the job.
It stopped short of demanding he resign.
The 83-year-old Mori, a former prime minister, apologized for the remarks and said he did not intend to resign. His stance was backed by the Switzerland-based International Olympic Committee and local organizers, which are beset with myriad problems trying to pull off the Olympics in the middle of a pandemic.
Public opposition in Japan is centered on the pandemic, which Japan has handled better than many countries, and the costs.
The official cost of preparing the Olympics is $15.4 billion, but several government audits have said the costs are at least $25 billion.
Organizers and the IOC last week began releasing so-called “Playbooks” that spell out very strict guidelines that detail how 15,400 Olympics and Paralympic athletes — and tens of thousand of broadcasters, media, sponsors and others — will enter Japan.
The rule books will be updated in April and June with more details and are initially vague in many areas. However, they acknowledge the risks involved.
“Despite all care taken, we draw to your attention that risks and impacts may not be fully eliminated and that you agree to attend the Olympic and Paralympic Games at your own risk,”the Playbook document says “We trust that these measures are proportionate to mitigate the above-mentioned risks and impacts and we fully count on your support to comply with them.” Stephen Wade, Tokyo, ap

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

The Buzz | Mysterious monolith pops up ...

Next Article

Luxury-jet market perks up as new buyers ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Sports

      FOOTBALL | Atletico thrashes Madrid 4-0 in derby to open up title race

      February 9, 2015
      By -
    • Sports

      Alcaraz plans a kangaroo tattoo to remember his Australian Open victory

      February 3, 2026
      By -
    • Sports

      Will the Seine be clean enough by the Olympics? Not even the experts know yet

      July 17, 2024
      By -
    • Sports

      Cricket | Steven Smith to become Australia’s 45th test captain

      December 16, 2014
      By -
    • Sports

      American Airlines sorry for theft accusation

      December 29, 2017
      By -
    • MacauSports

      Mercedes driver Maro Engel grabs inaugural GT World Cup

      November 23, 2015
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • World

      Germany | Nine killed in suspected far-right attack

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau hackers charged with trading on stolen law firm data

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Covid-19 | 100 days without a new locally-transmitted case

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d