MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›Report | Casinos spooked by land plot reversion

Report | Casinos spooked by land plot reversion

By -
August 7, 2017
0
0
Share:

Casino operators are worried about what the recent land reversion cases in Macau will portend for their upcoming license renewals in 2020.

According to Reuters, the government’s seizure of over 100 plots of lands from developers, on the grounds of their non- or under-utilization, has spooked casino executives. The reversion of the land plots proceeded despite protests from the developers, concerned residents and some city legislators.

The news agency has reported that some operators are concerned that the MSAR government might take a tougher stance in the unprecedented negotiations leading up to the license expiry dates between 2020 and 2022.

“It’s really a warning sign that the government is not backing down for the casino concessions,” one senior casino executive, who wished to remain anonymous, told Reuters. “Nobody really knows what is going to happen.”

“Just because you have a licence now doesn’t mean you will have one in the future,” another casino executive told Reuters. “They are setting our expectations that some operators may not continue.”

Five of Macau’s six casino operators had previously refused to comment on the issue.

Melco, breaking the silence, told Reuters that it hoped it would be able to continue its casino business in Macau, highlighting its connection to the city. Lawrence Ho, the son of casino magnate Stanley Ho, is Melco’s chief executive officer and chairman.

The government has rebuked the suggestion that the confiscations over the past four years are connected to the casino license renewals, and maintains that there is no intention to revise the Land Law.

The local authorities have justified the confiscations by saying that developers have been sitting idle instead of developing the plots as agreed in their contacts. They say that the tough stance will reduce corruption and ensure that land – in scarce supply in Macau – will be used for their intended purpose.

However, developers have accused government bureaucracy of stifling development plans, citing burdersome regulations and unresponsiveness from the related government departments.

In the meantime, casino operators are taking pre-emptive action to win favor from the local government. This reportedly includes a drive to hire more local workers and widely-publicized procurement campaigns to support the city’s small and medium-sized businesses.

But the upcoming license renewals have also meant caution among the operators and, according to Reuters, have also resulted in shorter-term contracts negotiated for new casino executives.

“It’s all very sensitive at the moment,” said another casino executive. “We are just trying to understand what the government wants.” DB

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Toyota, Mazda plan USD1.6b US plant, to ...

Next Article

Ask the Vet | Abnormal Liver Function ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • HeadlinesMacau

      59 Macau residents expected to land in Taipa between 5:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.

      March 6, 2020
      By Julie Zhu, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Police confirm investigation into netizens mocking China flag

      July 7, 2017
      By Daniel Beitler, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Napoleon the center of Bastille Day celebration this year

      July 16, 2019
      By -
    • Macau

      Legal Wise by MdME | The side effects of the new non-mandatory central pension scheme: a tool to retain local ...

      October 25, 2017
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | One-third more suspicious transactions recorded in h1

      July 16, 2021
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Multipurpose land plots trigger debate in CPU

      April 28, 2022
      By Renato Marques, MDT

    • World

      Diplomacy | In China, Obama tests global clout post-election

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Small businesses seek more support amid economic recovery

    • Business

      Hong Kong near to buying local dollars for first time since 2005

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia
    %d