MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This Day in History | 1987 – Ex-Guinness boss owes millions

This Day in History | 1987 – Ex-Guinness boss owes millions

By -
July 17, 2019
0
0
Share:

Former Guinness director Thomas Ward has been ordered to repay £5.2m to the brewing giants.

The High Court heard Mr Ward had acted illegally by failing to disclose a transfer of funds to Guinness’s directors during the £2.5bn takeover of drinks company Distillers Group last year.

In his judgement Vice Chancellor Sir Nicholas Browne-Wilkinson said: “Mr Ward has been and is wrongfully in possession of Guinness’s money.”

He received the cash in what the judge called a “secret agreement” with former Guinness chairman Ernest Saunders.

Thomas Ward, an American lawyer, was a key member of the so-called Guinness War Cabinet that masterminded the lucrative deal.

Mr Ward’s lawyers – based in London – said he would appeal against the ruling arguing he received the money legitimately for his “valuable services”.

In a 25-page document Sir Nicholas explained Ward’s counter claim for payment did not impinge on Guinness’s right to recover the £5.2m.

The judge also called for an inquiry into where the money had gone after it was paid through a Jersey company, Marketing and Acquisition Consultants, to Mr Ward.

Records show Mr Ward has paid $4.7m (£2.9m) in US federal and state taxes.

He claims only £1.2m remains unspent in a London bank account. This is to be repaid by Wednesday next week, along with a $300,000 investment.

He owes a further £500,000 in interest and has also been ordered to pay Guinness’s legal fees.

The ruling puts the drinks’ giants one step closer to recovering £25m of missing funds uncovered by auditors last November.

After the hearing Mr Ward’s solicitors revealed their client is already involved in legal battles with Guinness in the US.

The company is suing Mr Ward over a £750,000 flat in the Watergate complex in Washington, whilst he is claiming unpaid fees from Guinness for his legal practice Ward Lazarus.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

On 23 July the judge rejected an application by Thomas Ward to keep the £5.2m until the appeal had been heard.

The appeal was set for 10 August 1987.

In August 1990 Ernest Saunders and three others were jailed for insider dealing over the Distillers Group takeover.

Thomas Ward’s case was not settled until February 1993 when the High Court cleared Mr Ward of stealing the money.

At the time the Guinness trials was the most expensive ever legal battle in the British courts, costing over £20m in total.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Life & Style | Austin Butler to ...

Next Article

Offbeat | Welsh street named steepest in ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      Kremlin says Putin met with mercenary leader days after abortive mutiny

      July 11, 2023
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Singapore to get Michelin Guide in 2016

      December 1, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Oscars 2020 | Obama-backed documentary on Ohio factory wins Academy Award

      February 11, 2020
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | University finds creative way to test drones outside

      October 28, 2015
      By -
    • World

      Offbeat | Details of alleged bourbon theft ring described in records

      August 21, 2015
      By -
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Kenya | Gunfire, blast at upscale complex in Nairobi

      January 16, 2019
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Fined jaywalker in Guia street complains about lack of road safety guidelines

    • Sports

      Boxing | Pacman to fight Mayweather in May

    • Asia-Pacific

      Kim calls US human rights envoy a ‘political housemaid’ in protest of criticisms

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d