MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Macau
Home›Macau›CE blames ‘unpredictable’ weather conditions for flooding

CE blames ‘unpredictable’ weather conditions for flooding

By Renato Marques, MDT
June 2, 2021
0
0
Share:

The Chief Executive (CE), Ho Iat Seng, blames the unpredictable weather conditions for the flooding that occurred during the early hours yesterday in several parts of the city, especially in low-lying areas.
Speaking to the media on the sidelines of the official inauguration of the revamped Macau Grand Prix Museum, the CE said that the government is doing everything in its capacity to prevent severe flooding and thereby prevent the major damage and material losses to people’s lives caused by these unpredictable events.
Questioned by the media on the topic, the CE said, “We took all possible measures to prevent risks [including] the suspension of [school] classes. But we know that it is impossible to quickly remove all the [flood] water because of weather conditions.” He further added, “It started raining heavily [in] the early hours [yesterday] and it has [rained] severely and uninterruptedly until mid-morning. This caused some inconvenience to the [public] – we know about this.”
The CE also added that the flooding was caused by heavy rain associated with tides occurring on the 1st and 15th day of the month, noting that he had been in contact with the Meteorological and Geophysics Bureau (SMG) who explained that the quantity of rainfall was impossible to predict in advance.

“Unlike a typhoon, for which we can predict a track or route, the rainfall is different and we can only know [the rainfall levels] when it is already happening,” the CE said. According to him, the SMG has also issued warnings, but, “since at [the time of issuing the warning] most people might already be resting, some of them may not immediately be aware of the situation.”
Questioned on the alleged failure of new infrastructure built by the government to reduce flooding in the Inner Harbor area, the CE responded, “This is new infrastructure that is still being tested and requires adjustments [and is therefore not fully functional]. In situations of normal rain, this can solve the problem, but the rain of this morning was very intense. The services are already taking care of that matter and adjusting the system.”
Regarding the functionality of the system, the CE reaffirmed, “I am absolutely sure that to have this [rainwater drainage] system is better than nothing.”
Also questioned on the fact that Macau is now entering peak tropical storm season, the CE remarked that the services are well aware and preparing for the possibility of between five to six typhoons affecting the region this year.
“We are preparing to safeguard the livelihood and assets of the population as much as possible. A few days ago, we conducted a drill to increase the operationality and practice for several situations so people are well prepared. From the government’s side, I can guarantee that we will do everything possible,” he concluded.
Yesterday morning, many residents complained and expressed dissatisfaction via social media about the flooding, with some showing photos and video footage of flooded streets, car parks, and basement areas, as well as shops and other commercial venues with a significant quantity of floodwater.
The Public Security Police Force also issued warnings concerning several cases of falling objects, including wall tiles and concrete pieces from buildings across the city and with special emphasis on the buildings located on the old parts of the city.
Lawmaker Sulu Sou also publicly expressed discontent, saying that the government “keeps making the same mistakes” by not being able to warn the population about severe weather conditions, “causing continuous damage to citizens’ property.”

June 4 Vigil: Taboo topic for CE

Questioned by the media on his opinion about the cancellation of this year’s candlelight vigil to commemorate those who fell during the June 4, 1989 protests at Beijing’s Tiananmen Square, the Chief Executive (CE), Ho Iat Seng said that he would not comment on the matter.
The CE said initially, “I do not wish to make any comments on that topic since the case is now under a court appeal.” When questioned on how he feels about the matter in general, he reiterated, “I won’t make any comments on this matter.”

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Rainiest day since 1952

Next Article

Thursday, June 3, 2021 – edition no. ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      ‘Macau scam’ claims new victims in Malaysia

      March 29, 2016
      By -
    • Macau

      MICE hindered by Nanjing’s pandemic but expected to rebound

      July 28, 2021
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Morgan Stanley forecasts GGR to approach 90% of pre-pandemic levels

      May 8, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Man attacks customs officers upon interception with excess wine

      February 10, 2021
      By -
    • Macau

      Regulator proposes new limits on casino access

      September 27, 2017
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      DSAT attempts to mitigate impact of Golden Bus service cuts

      February 21, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Business

      China takes multi-pronged measures to ensure summer harvest

    • Macau

      Macau receives 4.9m package tour visitors

    • HeadlinesMacau

      Young jobseekers drawn to public sector

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d