MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›Death toll climbs from airstrikes on IS-held Syrian city

Death toll climbs from airstrikes on IS-held Syrian city

By -
March 21, 2016
1
0
Share:
A child visits an injured man at the Imam Ali Hospital in Baghdad, on February 29

A child visits an injured man at the Imam Ali Hospital in Baghdad, on February 29

The death toll from purported Russian airstrikes on the IS-held city of Raqqa in the past 24 hours has climbed to at least 55, mostly civilians, Syrian opposition activists and the Islamic State group said yesterday.
The extremist group has controlled the city in northern Syrian since 2013 and considers it the capital of its self-
styled caliphate. It has recently become the focus of more intensified airstrikes. A Kurdish-led force supported by the U.S. and Russia has said that it is planning to liberate the city in the next months.
The alliance, known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, has had success fighting against IS in northern Syria, and expelled its militants from their stronghold in Hassakeh — the town of Shaddadeh — last month.
Intensified airstrikes on Raqqa were ongoing yesterday. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which documents the conflict through activists on the ground, said 55 people have been killed, including 13 children and a pregnant woman, in what it said were Russian airstrikes that hit residential areas over the past 24 hours.
The anti-Islamic State activist group Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently also said the airstrikes were by Russian warplanes and put the number of deaths at 60.
The IS-affiliated news agency Aamaq said 43 were killed and 60 wounded. It released a video that purports to show the “massacre committed by Russian aircraft in one of Raqqa’s most congested streets.” The video shows what appears to be dead babies as well as bombed out buildings, burning cars and other wreckage.
The activist groups on the weekend said the air raids struck near the national hospital, a former army base and other neighborhoods.
Russia has been conducting air raids in Syria since Sept. 30. Moscow began drawing down its military presence in Syria over the past week after President Vladimir Putin ordered a partial pullout of Russian aircraft and forces in support of indirect peace talks in Geneva.
Last week Putin said Moscow would keep enough forces in Syria to continue the fight against the Islamic State group, the al-Qaida-affiliated Nusra Front and other extremist organizations.
The Islamic State group is not included in the truce that was brokered by Russia and the U.S. and went into effect on Feb. 27, leading to a drop of violence in Syria.
The air raids come at a time when IS has lost large swaths of territory in northern Syria, including in Raqqa province, in battles with the Syrian Democratic Forces.
To the south, Syrian troops are on the offensive in an attempt to capture the ancient town of Palmyra, which has been under IS control since May.
Opposition activists reported heavy airstrikes yesterday on the town that is home to some of the world’s most precious archaeological sites. Several of those sites have already been damaged or destroyed by the extremists.
Syria’s five-year civil war has killed more than 250,000 and displaced half the country’s population. MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Lights out: Cities worldwide mark the 10th ...

Next Article

Indonesia | Three more suspected militants killed

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      The Buzz | Trump rules out new political party in speech to conservatives

      March 2, 2021
      By -
    • World

      World briefs

      August 19, 2016
      By -
    • HeadlinesWorld

      Trump to UN | China ‘attempting to interfere’ with 2018 US election

      September 27, 2018
      By -
    • BuzzWorld

      Trump leads GOP rightward march and other takeaways from the Iowa caucuses

      January 17, 2024
      By -
    • World

      The Buzz | Mysterious monolith pops up near Turkish World Heritage site

      February 9, 2021
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1941 Hitler invades the Soviet Union

      June 22, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Business

      Education | Hong Kong financial elites shun local schools as protests mount

    • Macau

      Briefs | City Fringe Festival open for proposals

    • Headlines

      Gov’t presents bill to improve security officers’ overtime pay

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d