MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

Sports
Home›Sports›Football | Champions League: To take on Ronaldo, Atletico could unleash attacking trio

Football | Champions League: To take on Ronaldo, Atletico could unleash attacking trio

By -
February 19, 2019
0
0
Share:

Thursday, 4:00am
Atletico Madrid v Juventus
H 2.95, D 3.1, A 2.82

Atletico Madrid could unleash an attacking trio in an effort to finally outdo Cristiano Ronaldo in the Champions League.

Atletico coach Diego Simeone will be able to call on Antoine Griezmann, Diego Costa and Alvaro Morata when his team hosts Juventus in the first leg of the last 16 tomorrow [Thursday, 4:00am], in what will be Ronaldo’s first match in Madrid since leaving Real Madrid last year.

Ronaldo faced Atletico four straight seasons in the Champions League while wearing Real Madrid’s jersey, succeeding every time — in two finals (2014 and 2016), one quarterfinal (2015) and one semifinal (2017). He has scored 22 goals in 31 matches against Atletico in his career, including a hat trick in the first leg of the 2017 semifinals.

Simeone, known for his great defensive squads, may look for his attack to try to neutralize Ronaldo this time. He used Griezmann, Costa and Morata together on Saturday in the team’s 1-0 win at Rayo Vallecano in the Spanish league. Griezmann and Morata started the match, and Costa — coming off a long injury layoff — entered in the second half.

It was the first time Simeone could use all three players together, as Morata signed from Chelsea in the recent transfer window and Costa hadn’t played in nearly two months because of a foot injury that required surgery.

“I like it,” Simeone said after seeing them against Vallecano.

He will have all three players available again for the first leg against Juventus at Wanda Metropolitano Stadium, but he didn’t say whether he will use them all from the start.

“Obviously it takes time, it takes work, and an extraordinary physical condition from all three players,” Simeone said. “Hopefully at some point we will give them more playing time together.”

Costa would likely be left off the team if Simeone doesn’t go with the trio, considering he was sidelined for a long time.

If Costa plays, he would take over the central striker position, with Morata moving to one of the sides, opposite Griezmann.

“Costa allows Morata to play more freely, in a more comfortable position for him,” Simeone said. “And Griezmann will remain an important player for us, taking advantage of every chance he has in front of him.”

Atletico was already playing with the three forwards when Morata set up Griezmann’s winner on Saturday, although Morata was playing closer to the goal at the time, with Costa a bit further back.

“Diego and Griezmann are two of the best forwards in the world, they have shown that already,” said Morata, the former Real Madrid striker who joined Atletico after a disappointing stint with Chelsea. “It’s easy to play with them, it’s easy to adapt. I’m the last one to arrive, so I’m the one who has to adapt.”

Having all three available could be key for Atletico the rest of the season. In addition to the Champions League, Atletico remains in the title race for the Spanish league title, trailing leader Barcelona by seven points after 24 matches.

This year’s Champions League final will be held at Atletico’s home stadium. Tales Azzoni, Madrid, AP/oddschecker.com

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Super Rugby | Nonu’s return may herald ...

Next Article

Offbeat | Authorities remove cougar from tree ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Sports

      Football | EPL: Man U wins after penalty call backfires; Chelsea beats Spurs

      September 21, 2021
      By -
    • Sports

      Major League launches video game circuit

      January 15, 2018
      By -
    • Sports

      Rugby World Cup | England, Boks meet in a final not for the faint-hearted

      November 1, 2019
      By -
    • HeadlinesSports

      Fernandez signing caps big-spending Chelsea’s latest spree

      February 2, 2023
      By -
    • Sports

      Boxing | Ali’s grandson wins in pro debut

      August 16, 2021
      By -
    • Sports

      PSG and Madrid wait on Mbappé and Kroos for decisive second leg

      March 9, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      China-Australia trade ministers hold first meeting since 2019

    • HeadlinesMacau

      New Construction Health & Safety Laws allow TNR as safety officers

    • Opinion

      World Views | How to keep Steve Bannon out of the White House

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d