MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›New Wynn Resorts CEO denies prior knowledge of sex claims against founder

New Wynn Resorts CEO denies prior knowledge of sex claims against founder

By -
February 21, 2018
1
0
Share:

Matt Maddox reacts as he speaks during an interview at Wynn Las Vegas

The new CEO of Las Vegas- based Wynn Resorts said he was not aware of any of the sexual misconduct accusations against casino mogul Steve Wynn before they surfaced last month.

Matt Maddox, who was appointed CEO on Feb. 6 after Wynn resigned, added that people should “hold off making any judgment until the investigations into the accusations are complete.”

Wynn Resorts is facing scrutiny by gambling regulators in Nevada and Massachusetts, where the company is building a roughly USD2.4 billion casino just outside Boston. Regulators in Macau are also inquiring about the accusations.

Steve Wynn has vehemently denied the misconduct accusations and attributed them to a campaign led by his ex-wife. An attorney for Elaine Wynn has denied that she instigated the news report.

The allegations surfaced last month, when the Wall Street Journal reported that a number of women said Steve Wynn harassed or assaulted them and that one case led to a $7.5 million settlement.

Wynn Resorts has created a committee to investigate the allegations and to review the company’s internal policies and procedures to ensure a “safe and respectful workplace for all employees.” Maddox, who does not sit on the board of directors, said he would leave it up to lawyers and investigators to decide whether the findings of the investigation should be made public.

Many describe Steve Wynn as the father of modern-day Las Vegas, and by the company’s own admission, his knowledge was crucial for its success. So much so, that the company recently told regulators the “business may be significantly impaired” if it lost Steve Wynn’s services.

But Maddox on Monday said Wynn Resorts is positioned to move forward without its founder and continue to develop a number of projects in part because two long-time executives responsible for design and architecture remain with the company. He is also putting together an “innovation advisory team” to provide input.

“The idea is that our future projects are going to continue to be leading in innovation and creativity,” Maddox said while sitting at the employee dining hall of the Wynn Las Vegas casino-resort. “We are continuing to move forward as fast as we can.”

The company closed its golf course in Las Vegas last year as a step toward the development of a lake and hotel project called Paradise Park. Last month, it bought a 38-acre site along the Las Vegas Strip that Steve Wynn, before resigning, said would be developed into a roughly 2,000-room hotel.

Maddox said the company will pursue both projects as well as the possibility of obtaining a license to open a casino in Japan, where late last year lawmakers approved a long-awaited law on “integrated resorts” that is the first major hurdle in allowing casinos to set up shop. Further enabling legislation is expected to take several more years.

Maddox, 42, is one of Wynn Resorts’ first employees. He joined the company when Steve Wynn founded it in 2002, two years after he sold the business that built the Bellagio, Mirage and Treasure Island.

Initially, he spent the majority of his time raising the money to build the Wynn Las Vegas casino-
resort. He later worked in Macau before returning to Las Vegas in 2006. He led the company through the Great Recession as the chief financial officer and became its president in 2013.

Maddox said the company’s board of directors had been developing a succession plan for roughly four years, and Steve Wynn’s resignation simply accelerated its implementation.

“They, along with Steve, decided to make me the president of Wynn Resorts with the idea that eventually, assuming things continue to work well, I would become the CEO,” he said.

He said the company will keep its name and logo, which is Wynn’s signature.

“Wynn is about the 25,000 people who work here,” he said. “The name stands for quality. It stands for service. And it’s something that all of these 25,000 people look up to.”

Maddox defended the company as gender inclusive, citing that 40 percent of management are women, but wants the number to increase. He has established a new leadership initiative with an immediate goal of looking at gender inequality and instituted a six-week paid parental leave policy and merit-based scholarship fund.

“I’m going around in the town halls explaining not only is the company stable, it’s strong. So, all of you are safe,” he said. “We are going to keep executing what we do. And I’m pointing out at each town hall that this is a zero-tolerance company.” MDT/AP

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Gaming | Once near death, Tropicana now ...

Next Article

Agreement to avoid double taxation on Macau ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Jury calls on IFFAM to act as platform for emerging directors

      December 11, 2018
      By Lynzy Valles, MDT
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Macau-Hengqin campus eyes over 20,000 students

      January 26, 2026
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Macau

      Foreign exchange reserves reach MOP235 billion

      January 17, 2025
      By -
    • Macau

      JP Morgan: Gaming revenue surges ‘unexpectedly’ after Golden Week

      October 22, 2025
      By Nadia Shaw, MDT
    • Macau

      Six locals caught up in phone scams

      June 23, 2023
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • ChinaHeadlines

      Population shrinks for second year under virus curbs

      August 15, 2022
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Daily Edition

      Friday, May 1, 2015 – edition no. 2303

    • Drive In

      ‘Ford v Ferrari’ is a very pleasant (fast) ride

    • BusinessChinaMacau

      The Latest: China vows countermeasures over Trump tariffs as trade war threatens to intensify

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d