For the second time this month, hundreds of protestors have gathered in Cotai to demand better working conditions at casino operator Melco Resorts & Entertainment. Organized by the New Macau Gaming Workers Rights Association, Saturday’s protest gathered around 3,000 people, according to organizers, while police estimate the number to be 850. The protestors once again demanded 14 months of salary and that anti-tobacco laws be strictly enforced inside casinos. Previously, they had also called for what they described as “full pensions” for croupiers. Local media said that the authorities had mobilized around 100 agents to take part in the protest and that there was no record of any improper conduct. The New Macau Gaming Workers Rights Association said earlier this month that if their demands are not met, they will raise the issue with the government.
Slight population increase
The total population of Macau was 658,900 as at end-June 2018, with an increase of 2,200 quarter-to-quarter. The female population (349,600) accounted for 53.1 percent of the total. According to data released by the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC), in the first half of 2018, 2,855 live births were recorded, down by 301 year-on-year. In the same period, there were 2,135 cases of marriage registration, up by 108 year-on-year. In the second quarter of the year, Chinese immigrants (774) decreased by 233 quarter-to-quarter. Individuals granted the right of abode (315) and non-resident workers at end-period (181,499) increased by 42 and 154 respectively.
Casino employee arrested for clandestine photography
A male casino accounting professional has been arrested for activities related to clandestine photography. The local resident, aged in his 20s, was working for a casino located in the NAPE area when he was caught red-handed by one of his co-workers, who then transferred him to the police authority. The police authority found more than 2,000 photos of women’s legs and photographs taken under skirts. Most of the pictures were taken in his company’s staff-only access zone, with only a few being taken on the streets. According to the suspect, the photos were just for his personal collection and he has not shared them online.