MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

China
Home›China›More victims found in forced blood donations

More victims found in forced blood donations

By -
August 19, 2014
1
0
Share:

blooddonationMore details are being revealed into a scandal that saw a group of children under the age of 18 forced to donate blood every month between November 2013 and May 2014.
As investigations continue, the number of victims found who were forced to donate blood by a gang in northwest China’s Gansu province has increased to 10.
A group of seven individuals in the city of Wuwei, Gansu were involved in the scandal. Led by a man named Huang, identified as the deputy chief of a blood center run by the Lanzhou Institute of Biological Products, they illegally collected 10,700 yuan (USD1,742) through more than 48 forced blood donations.
Seven of the 10 victims were under the age of 18, the Public Security Bureau in Wuwei said on Sunday.
So far they have arrested six of the seven suspects, with one suspect declared exempt from criminal responsibility for being underage.
In China, the legal age for blood donation is from 18 to 55. Blood centers are required to double-check the donor’s identity before taking blood.
Donors visit blood centers to earn between 100 to 200 yuan in the form of a “nutrition fee” for each visit. It’s common for young donors to visit the center in groups.
Huang enlisted a student from the local school to help select the victims, often his friends, one source told Xinhua. Another accomplice would collect ID cards with photos that looked like the victims.
Huang then used his position as the head of the center to add the false information into their database to complete the verification process, said Dong Dexiang, a police officer from the local Public Security Bureau.
The victims were threatened or beaten if they did not cooperate, according to Dong.
An employee at the blood center said the donors were informed beforehand of the questions asked in the ID verification process and were told to recite answers that would not arouse suspicion, adding to the difficulties in uncovering the false IDs.
Locals say this had been going on for years, with one source telling Xinhua that angry parents, who discovered their children had been forced to donate blood, confronted the company in 2012. The confrontation was not verified by the police.
According to previous reports, students aged from 10 to 16 were forced to donate blood at least once a month for seven months. Each time 600 milliliters of blood was taken; usually, however, the average amount of blood drawn for voluntary donors is 200 milliliters.
The scam was uncovered seven months later when one boy sought his parents’ help after being beaten for refusing to give blood.
Dong said Huang’s position at the blood center helped them cover their tracks, as he supervised the center’s whole process from collecting ID cards to physical check-
ups. Xinhua

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

ANALYSIS | Francis gets crash course on ...

Next Article

Authorities scrap asset-disclosure trial programs, Beijing News ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • ChinaHeadlines

      Duterte toughens anti-China rhetoric | There will be blood if Philippine territory breached

      August 26, 2016
      By -
    • China

      52 dead in floods, including 2 kids on overloaded bus

      May 25, 2015
      By -
    • China

      South China Sea | ASEAN takes position vs China’s vast historical claims

      June 29, 2020
      By -
    • China

      Chinese spacecraft lands on moon’s far side to collect rocks in growing space rivalry with US

      June 3, 2024
      By -
    • China

      China, Philippines to roll out USD3.7b in cooperation projects

      January 25, 2017
      By -
    • ChinaHeadlines

      China launches new optical remote-sensing satellite

      September 8, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • China

      Detained Canadian does not have diplomatic immunity

    • Extra Times

      Bowie | Where is he now?

    • Macau

      Covid-19 | Gov’t mulling extending mRNA vaccination to young children

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d