MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

HeadlinesMacau
Home›Headlines›World Cup 2018 | Deal’s off: Syria, South Korea will not play qualifier in Macau

World Cup 2018 | Deal’s off: Syria, South Korea will not play qualifier in Macau

By -
September 1, 2016
1
0
Share:
The Asian Football Confederation website last night still failed to mention the place of the match

The Asian Football Confederation website last night still failed to mention the place of the match

South Korea and Syria will not play their World Cup qualifier in Macau next week as previously scheduled, the football governing body in Seoul said yesterday night, Yonhap News Agency reported.
The Korea Football Association (KFA) said the 2018 FIFA World Cup final Asian qualifying round match between South Korea and Syria next Tuesday (Sept. 6) “will not take place at [the] Macau Olympic Stadium after the Macau Football Association and its Syrian counterpart failed to reach an agreement on details.”
The KFA added that the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) is in talks with the Syrian Football Association to determine an alternative venue for the match. The exact location is expected be revealed no later than today, Yonhap said.
According to the South Korean agency, “The Taeguk Warriors were set to depart for Macau on Saturday,” two days after they open their regional qualification round against China at the Seoul World Cup Stadium, today.
South Korea, ranked 48th in the latest FIFA world rankings, is scheduled to face Syria (105th) on Tuesday.
Syria, which was required to stage their home matches on neutral soil due to the ongoing civil war, initially picked Lebanon to host the game against South Korea. However, on Aug. 23 they changed the venue to Macau, evoking security reasons, as Macau Daily Times reported earlier citing football official sources.
A KFA spokesperson said they are “trying to find out why Macau decided not to stage the match, and speculated that money may be the problem. Syria would have had to pay for security and the use of the stadium”. They also needed to cover their own transportation and lodging expenses, contrary to local reports which say that the Macau Football Association would have footed the bill (estimated at MOP6 million).
The Korean official added “if Syria can’t find a new venue for the upcoming qualifier in time, they will be forced to forfeit the match by AFC [rules]”.
If Syria reverts their decision back to Lebanon, as originally envisioned, the official said that the “KFA will likely oppose the decision.”
“It’s not easy to purchase a large number of airline tickets to the Middle Eastern country on such short notice,” added the official.
Officials from the AFC, FIFA and Macau’s Sports Bureau confirmed to MDT earlier this week that Syria would play its “home matches” at the Macau Stadium; information that was confirmedon fifa.com earlier this week.
Last night, the South China Morning Post reported that the Macau Football Association expressed “disappointment” that negotiations with their Syrian counterparts had failed to reach an agreement.
“The decision not only leaves Syria and their opponents bereft of a venue, it almost certainly kills off a wider plan for the city to host all five of the conflict-ridden nation’s “home’’ games in Group A of the Asian qualifiers – which includes a match against China,” the SCMP said.
“Bringing Syria to play their matches in Macau would have been a win-win [situation],” Daniel Sousa, vice president of the MFA, said last night, as quoted by SCMP. PC/Agencies

 

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Previous Article

Macau student expelled for killing second cat

Next Article

Special licensed taxis expect to start operations ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • Macau

      Robert Crais’ ‘The Wanted’ is rewarding page-turner

      December 29, 2017
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      Tour groups on the rise with significant jumps from Korea, India

      August 30, 2024
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      New legal regime for ‘rights and guarantees of the elderly’ given the green light

      October 13, 2017
      By Renato Marques, MDT
    • Macau

      Smoking lounge locations carefully planned

      June 29, 2015
      By -
    • HeadlinesMacau

      China Everbright opens branch in Macau

      March 23, 2023
      By -
    • Macau

      Briefs | Airport to add 102 flights over Lunar New Year

      January 20, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Man arrested for secretly filming female colleague in restroom

    • HeadlinesMacau

      High-risk visitors | Hotel quarantine extended to 28 days in 2022

    • Asia-Pacific

      World’s ‘largest solar precinct’ approved by Canberra

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d