MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

Top Menu

  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia

Main Menu

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Our Team
  • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
  • Archive
    • PDF Editions
  • Contacts
  • Extra Times
    • Drive In
    • Book It
    • tTunes
    • Features
    • World of Bacchus
    • Taste of Edesia
logo
FOUNDER & PUBLISHER Kowie Geldenhuys
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Paulo Coutinho
Macau,

MACAU DAILY TIMES 澳門每日時報

  • Home
  • Macau
    • Photo Shop
    • Advertorial
  • Interview
  • Greater Bay
  • Business
    • Corporate Bits
  • China
  • Asia
  • World
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Our Desk
    • Business Views
    • China Daily
    • Multipolar World
    • The Conversation
    • World Views
  • Gov’t silent on student mental health numbers, while Hong Kong records steep increase

  • Satellite milestone advances geomagnetic navigation research and applications

  • Summer’s Finest at DIVA 

  • Gov’t vows more diverse community spending promotion activities

  • HKD6.4 million needed for retirement, majority lack financial confidence, survey finds

World
Home›World›This day in history | 1967 Israel ends six-day war

This day in history | 1967 Israel ends six-day war

By -
June 10, 2021
0
0
Share:

Fighting in the Middle East has ended after Israel finally observed the UN ceasefire and halted her advance into Syria.
Within the last six days Israeli troops have taken territory many times larger than Israel itself and united the holy city of Jerusalem for the first time since 1948.
Israeli Prime Minister Levi Eshkol justified the pre-emptive strike on Egypt, and battles with Jordanian and Syrian forces by saying his country was acting in self-defence.
He told the Sunday Times newspaper: “The threat of destruction that hung over Israel since its establishment and which was about to be implemented has been removed.”
He added: “For the first time in 19 years, Jews are again free to pray at the Wailing Wall and at other shrines sacred to Judaism in Jerusalem and Hebron.”
The UN set a ceasefire at 1630GMT (1730BST) after Israel and Syria agreed to position UN observers on both sides of the front line at Kuneitra, nine miles (14 km) inside Syria, and at Tiberias, on the Israeli side.
But Syria has said Israeli fighter planes flew over its capital, Damascus, five minutes after the ceasefire had been due to come into force.
Two hours later the observers sent word to the UN Security Council in New York that firing on both sides of the front line had indeed stopped.
There was good news and bad news for Egyptians.
Having decided to resign yesterday after his country’s humiliating defeat, President Abdel Nasser today announced he would in fact remain in office.
This brought thousands of Egyptians out onto the streets of Cairo and other Arab cities cheering and rejoicing. In an address to the Assembly, relayed by loudspeaker to the crowds outside, he said: “I will give the nation everything I have, even my life itself.”
But this was tempered by reports from Cairo Radio that Israeli bombing raids of the Suez Canal had left it blocked with sunken ships, a further blow to the nation’s economy.
Meanwhile the Soviet Union – which has broken off diplomatic relations with Israel – and its Eastern Bloc allies have agreed a plan to re-supply Arab forces with armaments.

Courtesy BBC News

In context

After a period of relative peace in the Middle East, Palestinian guerrilla groups, supported by Egypt and Syria, started a series of attacks on the Israeli border in 1965.
These were followed by Israeli reprisals and a gradual build-up of Arab military forces around Israel’s border.
The second Arab-Israeli war, also known as the six-day war, began on 5 June with a massive pre-emptive strike on Egypt. Israel crippled Egypt’s air force, then seized the Sinai peninsula from Egypt in the south and the strategic Golan Heights from Syria in the north.
It also pushed Jordanian forces out of the West Bank and East Jerusalem, uniting the once divided Holy City.
The assault that ended 10 June changed the face of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
It also displaced some 500,000 Palestinians who fled to Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.
In November 1967, the UN Security Council adopted Resolution 242 which laid down a formula for Arab-Israeli peace whereby Israel would withdraw from territories occupied in the war in exchange for peace with its neighbours.
This resolution has served as the basis for negotiations ever since.
Israeli forces evicted Jewish settlers from the Gaza strip in August 2005 and began to demolish some settlements on the West Bank as well.
Egypt and Jordan are the only Arab nations that have made peace with Israel since 1967.

FacebookTweetPin

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

TagsThis Day in History
Previous Article

Russia expected to outlaw opposition leader Navalny’s ...

Next Article

Japan, Australia share Beijing concerns, raise defense ...

0
Shares

    Related articles More from author

    • World

      This Day in History: 1986 Eastwood voted mayor by landslide

      April 8, 2015
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1992 LA in flames after ‘not guilty’ verdict

      April 29, 2020
      By -
    • World

      1986 Orange Parade sparks riots

      July 12, 2022
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 2001 ‘Internet twins’ taken into care

      January 19, 2016
      By -
    • World

      This day in history | 1959 Macmillan and Khrushchev talk peace

      February 23, 2021
      By -
    • World

      This Day in History | 1998 Clinton admits Lewinsky affair

      August 17, 2020
      By -

    Leave a reply Cancel reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

    • Macau

      Xu Yingzhen to be the new Forum Macau head

    • World

      USA | Jeb Bush confirms 2016 bid

    • Business

      Citigroup cuts August gaming revenue forecast to MOP19 billion

    Search

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

    DAILY EDITION

    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956
    Friday, May 22, 2026 – edition no. 4956

    Greater Bay

    MDT MACAU GRAND PRIX SPECIAL

    May 2026
    M T W T F S S
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    25262728293031
    « Apr    
    • Contact our Administrator
    • Contact our Editor-in-Chief
    • Contacts
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Editorial Statute
    • Code of Ethics
    COPYRIGHT © MACAU DAILY TIMES 2008-2026. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    MACAU DAILY TIMES
    • Home
    • Macau
      • Photo Shop
      • Advertorial
    • Interview
    • Greater Bay
    • Business
      • Corporate Bits
    • China
    • Asia
    • World
    • Sports
    • Opinion
      • Editorial
      • Our Desk
      • Business Views
      • China Daily
      • Multipolar World
      • The Conversation
      • World Views
    • Our Team
    • Editorial Statute
      • Code of Ethics
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms and Conditions
    • Archive
      • PDF Editions
    • Contacts
    • Extra Times
      • Drive In
      • Book It
      • tTunes
      • Features
      • World of Bacchus
      • Taste of Edesia

    Loading Comments...

    You must be logged in to post a comment.

      %d